Barnard, VT 05031
Park Updates & Alerts
- No updates at this time
Travel west on VT 107 for 2.6 miles; turn left onto VT 107 West / VT 12 South and travel for .4 miles; make slight left onto North Rd. and travel for 6.7 miles; park entrance is on left.
Turn left onto VT 12 North, travel for 6 miles; turn left onto North Rd. in Barnard Village and travel for .2 miles; park entrance is on the right.
This busy park is popular for its sandy swimming area, picnic grounds, and camping area. Its proximity to Woodstock and other central Vermont tourist destinations makes it ideal for family vacations. The park encompasses the northern shoreline of 84-acre Silver Lake which supports excellent fishing of northern pike, perch, smallmouth bass and other warm-water species. The lake is popular for paddling and quieter recreation, with only occasional motorboats passing by. During the winter months, when the park is closed, the lake is a popular spot for ice skating and ice fishing.
At a Glance
- Great park for swimming and picnicing
- Campground has 39 tent sites and 7 lean-to sites
- Park interpreter offers fun, hands-on programs
- This park participates in the Reel Fun fishing program (learn more (PDF))
Silver Lake State Park was established in 1955 when two pieces of land were donated to the State by Mr. and Mrs. John McDill of Woodstock, Miss Margaret Crosby of Barnard, and Mr. Richard H. Field of Boston. Development of recreational facilities began soon after.
Silver Lake was originally called Stebblings' Pond after Benjamin Stebblings who owned land at the outlet where the Barnard General Store now stands. When Benjamin Stebblings moved out of the area, the lake became known as Barnard Pond. In 1869, Barnard Pond was renamed Silver Lake.
Barnard, chartered July 17, 1761 from the New Hampshire Grants, quickly became an agricultural town. Early homestead farms were replaced by sheep farms in the mid 19th century, and later dairy operations, a few of which remain today. The 35-acre state park was once part of several farms; a farm homestead was located near the current park entrance; the remains of a barn foundation are still visible in the campground. Today the town is known for the state park, and picturesque New England charm of the village center.
Facilities / Amenities
There are 39 tent/RV sites and 7 lean-to sites. There are two restrooms in the camping area with running water and coin-operated hot showers. There is a sanitary station, but there are no hookups. There is a large grassy area by the beach with a play area. There is also a snack bar, restrooms, changing rooms, and boat and canoe rentals.
The park also has a picnic pavilion that can be rented. The pavilion seats up to 100 people and has 2 grills and picnic tables. The cost to rent is $100.
This park has a park interpreter offering fun, hands-on activities. Interpreters are park staff solely dedicated to helping you learn more about the natural and cultural history of the park. Some popular activities include night hikes, nature crafts and games, campfire programs and amphibian explorations.
Check out the calendar of current events to see some of the programs planned during your visit.